So my Smart Modem (generation 2, lunchbox) was blown up in a storm. I managed to pick up a Generation 1 smart modem (the small pizza box one) and decided to try swapping the SIM into it. The first gen one uses a micro SIM whereas the second gen was a full size SIM, so it required some trimming with scissors to get it to the right size. It works – this post was done via the 4G Backup.
Interestingly, I still have an old Commander-branded modem attached to the ADSL line, and so far both services are happy running simultaneously. (Same BigPond account.) Next test is to take the smart modem with the 4G to the next town over and see if it remains online – could be handy if it does.
The lunchbox one didn’t want to connect to the ADSL at first since it was previously on an NBN connection; but eventually it switched.
OK so there are instructions online about how to rate limit Chrome and Firefox from the developer console, but none of them seem to actually work for YouTube uploads. (Or I was doing it wrong which is also quite possible.)
The only working solution I found was a program called TMeter Free, using the documentation at https://www.howtogeek.com/347711/how-to-limit-any-applications-bandwidth-on-windows/
I’m happily uploading to YouTube at 2/3rds the max my ADSL can handle – ADSL becomes very slow on downloads if the upload is maxed out.
Tmeter is free from http://www.tmeter.ru/en/ – up to four processes only.
Had one of these come in today – customer had two, and both died in short order. Thought it might be a faulty docking station.
Symptom: Charge light works, but no power light or power switch function. Holding power button for >15 seconds causes the caps lock light to come on for a second or so.
Solution: Seemed to be to disassemble, remove the main battery and the CMOS battery. Power up the machine and get past the bios battery failure message, and hopefully back to normal. Possibly you’ll find yourself in the middle of Windows update – possible cause of suspicion??
The free version of Zara Radio uses a technique to enable satellite playback by unmuting a “playback” input in Windows 98 / early XP’s audio mixer. This feature doesn’t exist in computers made since about 2005.
ZaraRadio does support ‘scripts’ within the playlist file.
You can take advantage of this by using the free app SoundVolumeView to save two profiles – one with a line in set with “Listen To This Device” enabled for the Line In input, and another with it disabled. (File –> Save Sound Profile (Selected Devices))
You can then create a batch file with the relevant commands – for example, satellite_off.bat would contain: C:\Users\Public\Documents\SoundVolumeView.exe /LoadProfile satellite_off.spr
You can then open a Zara Radio Playlist in Notepad and add the relevant lines to the end of it. For example,
I’ve not had much to do with NITEA, but was asked to extract some data from it for use in a different system. This proved to be a bit challenging at first because NITEA exports very nice looking reports to Excel, but with lots of merged cells in positions that can change for no obvious reason. (Seems to be a way to maintain column width rather than setting an explicit column width.)
After much head scratching, I found a way to import this data. My trick is to save the NITEA export as a CSV file from Excel, then using another spreadsheet select the Data –> From Text option to import said CSV file. The trick is to tick the ‘treat consecutive delimiters as one” option.
This isn’t perfect as it will mean empty cells are ignored, which will affect alignment of data if there are empty values for some records. Depending on the layout of your exports this may or many not be an issue. A workaround is to highlight the cells in the original NITEA report and use a find and replace to replace the empty cells with a character. A bit laborious but could be automated. (Doing the entire worksheet will likely generate some heat!)
Of course, a real programmer will likely be able to do something clever like create an array in a programming language or some such. I’m not a full time programmer, so I just use the tools I know to get the job done if I can.
There’s more fun to be had if you’re trying to get multiple tables into one recordset. This might at least give you a start 🙂
Ok so this isn’t definite, but I have a suspicion that in the above configuraton, the presence of a Mac Fusion Drive on the host causes a long (two minutes of spinning dots) delay when starting a Windows 10 guest. This suspicion is based on the same VM opening much faster on a similar mac with a standard drive.
I don’t have a solution; this is just an observation.